For a while we have been thinking about a mass participation event to raise funds for BHT. Many of the best ideas have gone – the Brighton Marathon, the Half Marathon, the Midnight Walk, and so on.
We didn’t want people to undertake superhuman feats of endurance, like running up Mount Kilimanjaro with a grand piano strapped to your back or jumping out of an aeroplane wearing nothing but water wings!
We wanted something that people of all abilities could participate in so we came up with the modest idea of cycling around the world …. in just 12 hours. Hmmm.
We are calling on the community to get on their bikes and cycle as many laps of the track as possible towards a collective target of 40,075km.
The clock will start at 7am. Throughout the day there will be various slots for club cyclists, hand cyclists, children, and adults, enabling everyone to set themselves, their family or friends a personal challenge. There will also be various activities, entertainment and catering stands.
We are hoping that the event will raise £25,000 for BHT.
Please help us by:
- Taking part – Come along for a leisurely Sunday afternoon cycle or a hundred kilometre dash at 7am in the morning. Register via https://www.bht.org.uk/support-us/around-the-world-cycle-challenge-2017/ (Please make sure you register)
- Team Challenge – Why not organise a team and challenge others to a contest to see who can clock the most laps!
- Spreading the word on social media – Please retweet @BHT_Sussex tweets about the event and invite your friends to the BHT Around the World Cycle Challenge event on Facebook
- Spreading the word amongst your friends – If you have any friends or contacts with businesses who may be interested in sponsoring the event, or would be happy to display an A3 poster, please let my colleague, Sara Peskett, know.
- Volunteering – We will need lots of marshals and stewards across the day! If you’re able to volunteer two hours (or more) of your time, from 7am until 7pm, please contact Sara.
It’s going to be a fantastic day, and we hope it will raise a good amount for BHT.